True story: I would be completely fine if I had to eat a burger every single day for the rest of my life. I feel like I say that about a lot of foods (I LOVE FOOD, OKAY?!) but I absolutely can’t get enough of a high quality, juicy burger in all forms. It’s so versatile with endless options of toppings and I love the toasty flavor of a hot, fresh-off-grill burger.
This version of bison burger comes with everyone’s favorite combination: bacon, lettuce, avocado, and tomatoes. It sounds so simple but the flavors are definitely not! There’s saltiness and crunchiness from the bacon, creaminess from the avocado, and the refreshing taste of the tomatoes and lettuce. Honestly… it’s the perfect combo and I’m obsessed. This recipe is also RESTART sugar-detox friendly and a easy, healthy addition to a busy weeknight dinner. Hope you enjoy!
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook the chopped bacon until cooked through.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked bacon on to a paper towel. Save the bacon grease for another use.
- In a large bowl, combine bacon, bison, garlic, dijon mustard, onion powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Mix together without overworking the meat.
- Divide meat into 4 equal parts an shape into patties, making a small indentation in the middle.
- Heat a grill to medium high heat.
- Place the burger patties on the grill, close the lid, and grill for 6 minutes.
- Flip the burgers, close the lid, and grill for 2 more minutes for medium rare, or longer if desired.
- Remove the burgers from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Place each burger on a lettuce leaf, then top with mayonnaise, tomatoes, and avocado slices. Finish off with another lettuce leaf on the top of each burger, and serve!