Refreshing and filling Paleo Asian Chicken “Noodle” Salad is delicious and low carb, made with carrot and parsnip noodles!
I eat some kind of salad every single day as a meal, usually lunch. I love getting in some quality nutrients with a big ol’ bowl of veggies, in addition to healthy fats and proteins. Since my meals have to fill me up for several hours since I try to avoid snacking between them, my salads are usually chock full of filling and satiating ingredients that are low in sugar.
I made this Paleo Asian Chicken “Noodle” Salad with exactly that in mind. Plus, I just love Asian flavors that are packed with umami and textures. The tender, juicy chicken in this recipe melds together with the freshness of the parsnip and carrot noodles and the crunchiness of the toasted cashews beautifully.
This salad reminds me of the papaya salads I had in Thailand. I had it everyday for the week that I was there because it was so delicious and spicy. While this Paleo Asian Chicken “Noodle” Salad isn’t spicy, you can add a bit of spice to it if you’d like with sriracha sauce or spicy pepper flakes. Although I’m a huge fan of spicy, I actually enjoyed this salad as it was and didn’t feel like I needed to add anything to it.
The best thing about this dish is that it gets better and better as it sits and the flavors meld together. I would make a big batch in the beginning of the week and enjoy the leftovers. It’s the perfect recipe for batch-cooking!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp gluten free tamari or coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 lb chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 parsnip
- 3 carrots
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Cilantro or basil, for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing and stir together to mix.
- Add 2 tbsp of the dressing to the chicken and massage with your hands to coat evenly. Set the chicken aside to marinate in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Use a spiralizer or vegetable slicer to slice the parsnip and carrots into thin noodle-like strips.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add cashews and cook stirring for 3-4 minutes, until the cashews are browned and toasted. Add to the parsnip and carrot mixture.
- Heat coconut oil in the skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for 6 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and slice in bite-sized pieces. Add to the salad.
- Add green onions and the rest of the dressing. Stir to mix well.
- Add salt and pepper, if needed, and sprinkle sesame seeds and cilantro or basil leaves. Serve immediately or chill before ready to serve.