Quick and easy Instant Pot Barbacoa is so tender and delicious, and great for leftovers!
Barbacoa is always my first choice when we go out for tacos (that, and fish tacos). There’s something so amazing about how tender and spicy it is, and I just love it just melts in your mouth. If you don’t know what Barbacoa is, you should learn and try it because it’s just the best!
Barbacoa is slow roasted meat, usually beef, seasoned with various spices to give it a delicious chipotle flavor. BUT, if you have no patience for slow roasting anything like me, you can just throw everything in the Instant Pot and it’ll all be ready in an hour or so!
Beside some simple prep work, there’s not much you have to physically do for this Instant Pot Barbacoa. That’s what’s so magical about Instant Pots. They take a fraction of the time that a slow cooker requires, but you still have a delicious fall-off-the-bone meal at the end of it without stinking up the whole house!
The versatility of this recipe makes it a great one to make for meal prepping at the beginning of the week. So far, we’ve had it in tacos, salads, taquitos, and eaten it just on its own. Next time, I think I’ll build a burrito bowl with them with cauliflower rice and veggies. Oh, the possibilities!
What your favorite way to enjoy Barbacoa?
- 3-4 lb beef bottom round roast or chuck roast, cut into 3 inch chunks
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth or bone broth
- ¼ cup raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup lime juice
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté setting and heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil for 10 minutes.
- Add beef to the Instant Pot and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Work in batches if needed.
- Leave the beef in the Instant Pot and turn it off.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients, except cilantro, in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the meat, close the lid, and cook for 60 minutes on high pressure.
- Release the pressure and open the lid. Take out the meat, shred it with 2 forks, and return it back into the Instant Pot.
- Stir, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve as taco meat, in a burrito bowl, or in any way you want to enjoy it!
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.