Brighten up your Easter brunch table with this purple cauliflower and mushroom paleo quiche!
If you are here thinking this is blueberry pie, sorry. This is actually a delicious and savory paleo quiche made with purple cauliflower to give it a deep purple hue. I know it might look a bit crazy, but trust me: it’s SO good!
It always amazes how colorful real food can be. I’m always fascinated by tumeric and beets and how they can just change the colors of anything they touch. And did you know these deep pigments of our food actually tell us something their nutrient profile? Each color signifies different micronutrient levels that are so beneficial to include in our diets. That’s why I always try to put a variety of colors on my plate!
By the way, Easter is just around the corner and we don’t particularly celebrate it in our house since we aren’t religious, but I do enjoy the idea of this holiday. I honestly love any celebration that brings our loved ones together, and involves activities and games that everyone can join in on.
And what better way to celebrate than with healthy and delicious dishes that everyone can enjoy? I think this cauliflower and mushroom paleo quiche will be a perfect addition for this weekend’s brunch table. And if you don’t like the look of a purple quiche, you can just use regular ol’ white cauliflower instead and the flavor will be the same.
But Easter is all about beautiful colors, so why not have fun with it? I think kids will especially love it.
Hope you make this delicious paleo quiche, and have a happy and blessed Easter weekend!
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- 1 medium purple cauliflower, cut into florets
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1½ tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 10 inch quiche pan with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt, and garlic powder.
- Add an egg, avocado oil, and water, and mix together until a dough forms.
- Press the dough into the pan until evenly flattened out on all sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden.
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion, and cook stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, and sauté for 7-8 minutes until the mushrooms have sweat out and softened.
- Take off heat and stir in thyme.
- Fill a saucepan with 2 inches of water and bring to boil over medium high heat.
- Add cauliflower, close the lid and let steam for 7 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a blender with coconut milk, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs and pulse a few times until they are well mixed in.
- Add the cooked mushroom mixture to the baked quiche crust and spread it out evenly.
- Pour the blended cauliflower over the mushrooms.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the center of the quiche is set.