These Chorizo Breakfast Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are not only fun and delicious to eat, but easy to make as well. Topped with runny eggs and avocado lime sauce, they’ll be your new favorite Whole30 breakfast.
While I love a super simple breakfast with just bacon and eggs on busy mornings, I do like to switch it up once in a while with dishes that take a bit more time and love in the kitchen. I don’t do it often, but adding starches like sweet potatoes to my breakfast makes it so comforting, and they are totally worth the extra effort with how delicious they turn out!
Chorizo Breakfast Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
These Chorizo Breakfast Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are one of those recipes and I just adore the flavor combo. Sweet potatoes are baked until soft and mashed with cooked chorizo, and the whole thing is baked again topped with an egg. I also like to drizzle each potato half with a creamy and tangy avocado lime sauce, and this with the spicy chorizo, sweetness of the sweet potatoes, and the creaminess of the runny eggs is just perfection in one bite.
Prep It A Day Ahead
While these breakfast twice baked sweet potatoes do take a bit of baking time, you can definitely prepare them the day before so you can sleep in in the morning. Just follow all the steps and stop before you have to crack the eggs into the sweet potatoes. You can keep the prepared sweet potato halves and the avocado lime sauce in the refrigerator until the morning, when you’ll complete the recipe by baking everything the 2nd time.
The taste will still be fantastic and the sauce color will stay vibrant from the addition of the lime juice. And the best part? You only have to spend 15 minutes on cooking on the day you serve them. So perfect, especially if you are hosting a weekend brunch for a group, like on Mother’s Day or Easter!
Chorizo Breakfast Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes (Paleo, Whole30)
- 4 sweet potatoes medium to large
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb chorizo (sugar and nitrate free) removed from casing
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Avocado Lime Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water or more, if needed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes, and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Use 1 tbsp of avocado oil to coat the potato halves and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, heat 1 tbsp of avocado oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add chorizo, and cook stirring for 10 minutes while breaking it up. Remove from heat when the chorizo is cooked through.
- Add all ingredients for the avocado lime sauce in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add more water if you prefer a thinner consistency, and set aside.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and scoop out the flesh from the skin into a large bowl (I like to use a grapefruit spoon).
- Mash the sweet potato flesh with a fork.
- Add the chorizo mixture, and stir together.
- Evenly divide the mixture into the sweet potato skins, and make a well in the center.
- Carefully crack an egg into each well and season with salt and pepper.
- Place back in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve drizzled with avocado lime sauce.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.