This delicious paleo and Whole30 Creamy Bacon Beet Salad has the perfect balance of flavors, as well nourishing and healthy nutrients!
Beets are everywhere right now, peeps. I love this earthy root vegetable that always makes me look like I committed a murder in the kitchen. So fun. As the weather gets cooler (sorta), I love the abundance of them, and it’s fun to find different ways to eat them.
I was planning to grill some steaks a few days ago when it was hot out, and I realized that the only side dish ingredients I had left were beets and onions. My sweaty self didn’t want to turn on the oven and I was craving a salad so I decided to make a beet salad, using beets as the base, topped with bacon… because, bacon. The bacon bits add a salty, delicious crunch to it and the result was excellent, not to mention, so pretty.
If you own a mandolin, this salad will be much easier to make. If not, be prepared for a bloody mess. It’ll still taste wonderful though. Enjoy on its own or as a healthy side to a main dish!
Creamy Bacon Beet Salad
- In a sauce pan, submerge the beets in water and turn up to heat to medium high.
- Once the water comes to a boil, turn down the heat and let it simmer for 40 minutes-1 hour until the beets could easily be pierced through with a knife.
- While the beets are cooking, heat a pan over medium heat.
- Throw in the diced bacon into the pan and cook stirring until the bacon turns brown and crispy. Set aside.
- When the beets are done, run under cold water until they are cool enough to handle.
- Julienne the beets preferably with a mandolin and place into a large bowl. You can use a knife but be prepared to get messy with the beet juice.
- Add the onion, mayo, apple cider vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper and mix everything together.
- You can fold in the bacon bits or just sprinkle them on after plating. I like to do the latter because they stay and taste crunchier this way.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.