This easy vegan salted caramel ice cream recipe is made with coconut milk and has the most delicious swirls of caramel! It’s creamy, wonderful, and free of refined sugars.
Sea salt caramel ice cream is such a decadent and delicious treat. It’s usually vanilla ice cream with swirls of salted caramel mixed in, and the result is so heavenly and wonderful. In this vegan coconut ice cream recipe, I recreated that classic flavor and it’s honestly the best salted caramel ice cream that I’ve enjoyed. Plus, I love that it’s all healthy and clean ingredients!
In This Post…
- Homemade Salted Caramel Ice Cream Recipe
- Directions: How to Make Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream
- Printable Recipe
Homemade Salted Caramel Ice Cream Recipe
This vegan and paleo salted caramel ice cream is egg free and dairy free, but still so amazing. Coconut cream and coconut milk are used to create that ultra-creamy texture. Then, the salted caramel sauce is swirled in at the end for that delicious caramel flavor in every bite.
There are just 6 ingredients in this vegan coconut milk ice cream (or “nice cream”) – if you don’t count salt, and you most likely have them on hand if you cook paleo or vegan often!
- coconut milk
- coconut cream
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- sea salt
- my 4-ingredient salted caramel sauce which has:
- almond butter
- maple syrup
- coconut oil
- sea salt
You also need an ice cream maker to make an ultra creamy vegan coconut milk ice cream. I have this $30 ice cream maker that I bought years ago and it works great!
Directions: How to Make Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream
Here’s are the simple and easy instructions for this homemade salted caramel swirl ice cream:
- First – make sure to place the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer for at least 12 hours or according to the manufacturer’s instructions. I usually just keep it in the freezer when I’m not using it so it’s always ready to go. Also, chill the cans of coconut milk and coconut cream in the refrigerator.
- Add coconut milk, coconut cream, maple syrup, and vanilla extract in a blender, and blend until smooth and frothy.
- Pour the blended mixture into the ice cream maker bowl and churn for 35-45 minutes, or until it turns into a soft serve texture.
- While the ice cream in churning make the 4-ingredient salted caramel sauce, which takes 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Once the ice cream is ready, transfer half of the churned ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Drizzle with a few spoonfuls of caramel over the mixture. Use a spoon or fork to swirl and incorporate into the mixture, then sprinkle with sea salt. Add the rest of the ice cream on top of the first half then repeat the process.
- Smooth out the top, cover, then freeze for at least 8 hours.
- Remove from the fridge 15 minutes before scooping to let it thaw a little. If you have leftover caramel sauce, you drizzle some on top before serving.
That’s it! Easy and delicious paleo and vegan salted caramel ice cream recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Vegan Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream
I highly recommend using full-fat coconut milk and full-fat coconut cream. Other dairy free milk do not have a high enough fat content for this vegan coconut ice cream recipe to turn out creamy, and it result in an icy texture. If you are allergic to coconut, you may be able to use thick homemade cashew milk instead.
You will get the best creamy texture with an ice cream maker. They don’t have to cost a ton, this is the one I have that’s budget-friendly and works well. Otherwise, the ice cream will turn out icy.
You can, but the caramel will get lost in the ice cream and you won’t get the caramel swirls in the ice cream. The ice cream will turn brownish in color as the caramel mixes in, but it’ll still be delicious!
You can drizzle it on any dessert you want, or even on toast! I love it over cakes, pies, cookies, or even fruits. It’ll harden when chilled, so just microwave it until it turns to a thick, sticky texture.
For other vegan coconut milk ice cream recipes, check out…
- Vegan & Paleo Mexican Hot Chocolate Ice Cream (No-Churn Method Included)
- Homemade Pistachio Ice Cream (Vegan & Paleo)
- Vegan & Paleo Cherry Garcia Ice Cream (Ben & Jerry’s Copycat!)
- 3-Ingredient Paleo Matcha Ice Cream (AIP, Vegan)
Paleo & Vegan Salted Caramel Ice Cream
- Before getting started, place the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer for at least 12 hours or according to the manufacturer's instructions. Chill the coconut milk and coconut cream in the refrigerator as well.
- Combine coconut milk, coconut cream, maple syrup, and vanilla extra in the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker bowl, and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions – around 35-45 minutes. It should turn into a soft serve texture.
- While the ice cream is churning make the 4-ingredient salted caramel sauce on the stovetop (takes 5 minutes!), then cool to room temperature.
- Transfer half of the churned ice cream to a freezer-safe container, then drizzle with a few spoonfuls of caramel over the mixture. Use a spoon or fork to swirl and incorporate into the mixture. Sprinkle with sea salt. Add the rest of the ice cream on top of the first half then repeat the process.
- Smooth out the top then cover. Freeze for at least 8 hours.
- To enjoy, remove from the fridge 15 minutes before scooping. If you have leftover caramel sauce, you can drizzle more on top before serving.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.