Delicious and tender melt-in-your-mouth Instant Pot Korean beef that’s quick and easy! It’s a Whole30 and paleo recipe that’s packed with flavor.
This Whole30 and paleo Korean beef is for anyone who loves bulgogi, with its lightly sweetened savory sauce that’s just so addicting. I make this easy Instant Pot recipe of Korean chuck roast often because my family just loves it. Even my toddler goes crazy over the tender texture of the meat covered in the most delicious sauce.
Watch a Short Video of This Recipe
Instant Pot Korean Beef Recipe
For this paleo chuck roast recipe, the meat is cubed then cooked in the Instant Pot in a naturally sweetened Korean sauce that’s packed with flavor. It’s so quick and easy, and the leftovers are amazing too! It’s easy to make a big batch, then enjoy it in various ways throughout the week.
Ingredients in Whole30 and Paleo Instant Pot Korean Beef
While this might seem like a long list, most of them are staple items that you likely already have in your kitchen.
- chuck roast: You can purchase a large chuck roast, or pre-cut stew meat will also work.
- bone broth: If you don’t have bone broth on hand, beef broth will work just fine.
- coconut aminos: A soy-free substitute for soy sauce, coconut aminos also adds a light natural sweetness to the dish.
- apple: You’ll just need a 1/4 of an apple for a Whole30-friendly sauce without any refined sugars. 1/4 of a Korean pear can also be used.
- rice vinegar
- sesame oil: I suggest toasted sesame oil for the best flavor.
- onion powder
- gochugaru (optional): These Korean chili flakes can be easily purchased at a local Asian market or online.
- arrowroot starch: This is used to make roux, then stirred in to the Korean chuck roast to thicken the sauce at the end. Tapioca starch can also be used interchangeably.
How to Make Korean Beef in the Instant Pot
This is such an easy recipe with minimal steps that anyone can make it! Here’s how to make Korean beef in the Instant Pot:
- Cut chuck roast into bite-sized pieces then add to the Instant Pot. Sprinkle with salt.
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce in the blender, then blend until smooth and creamy. Pour the sauce over the meat.
- Close the lid then cook on MANUAL for 15 minutes. Release pressure as soon as the Instant Pot beeps to a finish.
- Remove the lid, then set the Instant Pot to SAUTÉ. Stir together arrowroot starch and water in a separate bowl, then stir it in with the beef.
- Simmer until the sauce is thickened. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve, topped with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
Can I Use Soy Sauce Instead for This Instant Pot Korean Beef?
If you don’t have coconut aminos on hand and you are fine with consuming wheat, you can definitely use regular soy sauce! Since soy sauce is saltier than coconut aminos, I would reduce the amount to 1/3 cup and omit salting the meat in the beginning.
Do I Have to Use Rice Vinegar?
If you don’t have rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar is a great substitute.
What to Serve with Korean Beef
If you aren’t sure about what to serve with Korean beef, here are some ideas:
- rice or cauliflower rice
- Korean cucumber salad
- Korean radish kimchi
- roasted broccoli
- steamed green beans
You can even make a Whole30 and paleo Korean beef bowl and mix it with a bunch of your favorite Asian-inspired sides. The possibilities are endless!
If you enjoyed this Whole30 and paleo Korean beef, you might also like…
- Paleo & Whole30 Korean Steak Bites – Stovetop or Air Fryer (AIP Option)
- Instant Pot Barbacoa
- Paleo Mongolian Chicken with Shishito Peppers (Whole30)
- Paleo & Whole30 Korean Sloppy Joes (Instant Pot or Stovetop)
- Whole30 & Keto Instant Pot Pot Roast (AIP Option)
- Paleo Slow Cooker Korean Oxtail (Kkorijjim)
Instant Pot Korean Beef (Paleo & Whole30)
- 3 lb beef chuck roast cubed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup bone broth or beef broth
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 apple cored
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Optional: 1 tsp gochugaru or more, for spice
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp water
- Sesame seeds and chopped green onions for garnish
- Add cubed chuck roast to the Instant Pot liner and toss with sea salt to coat evenly.
- In a blender, add bone broth, coconut aminos, apple, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, onion powder, gochugaru (if using), and ground black pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and stir. Set the Instant Pot to MANUAL for 15 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps to a finish, open the pressure valve immediately to release pressure.
- Open the lid, and the set the Instant Pot to SAUTÉ.
- Stir together arrowroot starch and water in a separate bowl, then pour into the Instant Pot. Simmer for a few minutes so the sauce thickens. Turn off heat.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.