These Instant Pot Meatballs in Tomato Sauce are the ultimate comfort food that’s paleo, Whole30, and kid-friendly! Enjoy it over zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice to keep it low carb.
I can’t believe I haven’t had a classic Italian meatballs recipe on my blog until now. It’s mostly because my husband isn’t a huge fan of tomatoes or tomato based sauces, but I love them. I still make them and he’ll eat them, but I try not to make it too many times in the week for his sake.
However, these Instant Pot Meatballs in Tomato Sauce might be on regular rotation because they are SO comforting and delicious, so I’m planning to make them again and again (sorry, Charlie!).
Instant Pot Meatballs in Tomato Sauce Recipe
With the weather cooling down and the days getting shorter, I’ve been craving comfort food more and more. These Instant Pot Meatballs in Tomato Sauce fit the bill and are great for the entire family, even kids will go crazy for these! Best of all, it’s easy to make a large batch of (takes only 30 minutes!) and easy to cleanup since it’s all made in the Instant Pot, so it’s a good one to make on a busy weeknight.
With spices like oregano, garlic, and onions, it has all the familiar and cozy flavors that everyone loves!
Instant Pot Size
This recipe was made in a 6 qt Instant Pot, with just enough liquid to cover the bottom of the pot. If you have one that’s larger, it may not come to pressure and you’ll have to add more liquid so be prepared to adjust the recipe accordingly, or water down the liquid to make sure it’ll cook.
Keeping it Whole30 or Low Carb
These Instant Pot Meatballs in Tomato Sauce are fantastic on their own, but they are saucy enough that you can serve over your favorite gluten free pasta or some white rice.
However, if you are doing the Whole30 challenge or you want to keep low carb, you can serve them over:
- zucchini noodles,
- spaghetti squash,
- or cauliflower rice.
These options are also a great way to add some extra veggies into your diet. These meatballs also freeze and defrost beautifully without changing the texture or flavors so go make them a big batch to enjoy for days!
Instant Pot Meatballs in Tomato Sauce (Paleo, Whole30)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl and mix together. Do not overmix.
- Roll into balls the size of golf balls and set aside.
- Set a 6qt Instant Pot on Sautè and add avocado oil.
- Once the Instant Pot signals that it's "hot,' add onion and garlic and cook stirring for 5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Press Cancel on the Instant Pot, and then add crushed tomatoes, water, tomato paste, and sea salt, and stir together.
- Remove about 1/3 of the sauce and set aside.
- Gently add the meatballs to the Instant Pot over the sauce.
- Pour 1/3 of the sauce that was previous removed back in, covering the meatballs from the top.
- Close the lid, make the sure the pressure valve is set to Sealing.
- Cook on Manual on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps to a finish, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and serve over cooked spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or cauliflower rice!
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.