Read my full Joovv red light therapy review, the benefits I gained from using it for over a month, how it works, and the answers to the most common questions I get asked about it!
I first heard about red light therapy from my chiropractor years ago. He believed in a holistic approach to healing, and he had red light therapy panels in his office that he would use on his patients. I remember feeling so much better after my treatment sessions with him, and I became increasingly interested in this healing modality.
After doing some research on my own about all the amazing benefits, I was determined to have some kind of red light therapy device in my home. Everything I heard and read about Joovv red light therapy was so positive that I decided to give Joovv Mini a try for the past month.
What is Red Light Therapy?
Red light therapy is a form of healing for our body using concentrated natural light. It delivers therapeutic red and near infrared wavelengths as natural sunlight, one of the key nutrients that humans need to thrive.
Most of us do not get enough natural sunlight and light wavelengths day-to-day to support our body’s healing and regenerative functions. When you do receive these beneficial lights on a consistent basis, our cells become energized enough to power our body, heal effectively, and work properly. It can boost your mood, improve your skin, heal injuries, improve sleep, and reduce inflammation.
How Does Red Light Therapy Work?
Red light therapy works by using wavelengths of red and near infrared light to treat the body. Light exists on the electromagnetic spectrum, which has wavelengths that can be harmful for us at either ends: from gamma rays and x-rays to EMFs (electromagnetic frequencies).
However, at the center of the spectrum are light wavelengths that provide a variety of health benefits, such as sunlight (hello, vitamin D), red light, and near infrared light. Joovv red light therapy provide both red and near infrared lights that penetrates and gets absorbed into the body to provide unique healing properties.
Red vs Infrared Light
- Red light: Visible to the eye, red light is especially beneficial for skin-deep therapy. You’ll see estheticians use red light because it’s great for skin health like acne, wrinkles, wound healing, sun damage, and inflammatory skin conditions like eczema.
- Near infrared (NIR) light: Infrared light can penetrate much more deeply than red light and can target soft tissue, bones, and deep injuries. It can also penetrate the skull to treat neurological disorders and even improve memory, concentration, depression, and anxiety.
What Are The Benefits of Red Light Therapy?
I’ve mentioned several above, but I was amazed at all the health benefits that red light therapy can provide. Since it provides healing at a cellular level, it makes so much sense that it can really improve our overall well-being with repeated, consistent exposure. Some of the many benefits of red light therapy are that it:
- reduces inflammation and provides pain relief (like join and musle pain).
- speeds muscle recovery and enhances athletic performance.
- regulates circadian rhythm for better production of melatonin and more restful sleep.
- drastically improves skin health by improving circulation for anti-aging and healing damaged skin. It’s been shown to rejuvenate skin, reduce inflammation, and increase collagen production.
- stimulates hair growth and prevents hair loss.
- reduces depression and seasonal affective disorder, while also improving cognitive health.
- regulates hormones and improves thyroid function. Several studies have shown that it helps with fertility for both males and females.
- aids in weight loss, reducing body fat, and improving the appearance of cellulite.
My Experience with Joovv Red Light Therapy
I started using Joovv Mini over a month ago and have been using it everyday. I was mostly looking for a healing modality to help me with the following issues:
- shoulder and back pain from slight scoliosis,
- better sleep and less anxiety with postpartum hormones and a 7-month-old baby,
- more energy throughout the day,
- and anti-aging benefits for my skin health.
Why I Chose Joovv
First, I want to talk about why I decided to go with Joovv red light therapy. I researched many red light therapy home devices on the market, but Joovv has been proven to be the most powerful light therapy on the market, delivering the most total energy to your cells to provide optimal results at a short period of time. It’s also a trusted brand by many experts and professionals that I follow like Dave Asprey and Mark Sisson.
Not only that, Joovv is registered with the FDA, and I love that they conduct their own clinical research of their devices AND provide devices to some of the world’s leading clinical researchers to ensure efficacy and safety.
Also, I love that Joovv’s modular design allows you to build a complete system if you want to invest in bigger sizes overtime. I currently have the Joovv Mini, and I hope to get the complete Joovv Elite one day!
What I’ve Noticed After Using Joovv For Over a Month
I wish I could say that I did my Joovv red light therapy everyday at the same exact time. However, it’s hard to keep a consistent schedule with an active and needy 7-month-old around. I try to fit it in whenever she’s napping or sleeping for the night, anywhere from early afternoon to the evening.
- One thing I did notice right away was how mood boosting it was. I definitely felt calmer and more at ease afterwards, similar to the light box I’ve used in the past to treat seasonal affective disorder. This also helped me feel more energized overall as well.
- My back pain was reduced after a week of using it! I was honestly surprised by this. I have chronic neck, back, and shoulder pain from scoliosis that worsens in times of stress. I haven’t been able to go to my chiropractor lately, and Joovv has really helped me with this issue. I noticed the difference the most on my shoulders and my lower back.
- My sleep has improved as well. I usually have no trouble falling asleep. However, it’s hard for me to fall back asleep if my baby wakes me up sometimes or when I wake up on my own in the middle of the night. I’ve noticed that for the past 2 weeks, I’ve been able to fall back asleep within 15 minutes and stay asleep until the morning. This can also be from general decrease of anxiety and stress and incorporating CBD, but I honestly think Joovv has definitely helped.
- SKIN HEALTH. This was actually low on my list of reasons why I started using red light therapy, but it’s a very nice side effect. I noticed that my skin is clearer and more glow-y, and I’ve started concentrating the light on my face more because of this.
Red light therapy is not a magical pill that will heal all ailments. You may not feel or see a difference right away. However, I was able to notice a difference in my overall health and mood over time and it has become an essential part of my self care routine.
During each session, the muscles in my body relax and I release tension overall. It’s a form of meditation for me when I practice deep breaths, and I look forward to it everyday.
How long and how often can you do red light therapy?
Consistency is key when it comes to red light therapy. Joovv recommends 10 minutes per problem area everyday to see and/or feel the most optimal results.
Who would benefit from Joovv?
Everyone can benefit from Joovv, but those who benefit the most are:
- those with joint pain or arthritis
- those with autoimmune disease
- those dealing with hormonal issues and chronic fatigue
- athletes or those who work out often
- those with inflammatory skin conditions, or scars and stretch marks
- those with injuries
How is it different from an infrared sauna?
Most infrared saunas only emit far infrared light, while Joovv provides both red and near infrared light. Joovv also does not rely on heat like saunas do.
Are there any side effects?
Red light therapy is safe and effective, and multiple tests and research have shows that it produces little to no side effects. It’s also been shows to be safe for the eyes (which I was curious about because the light is so bright), and it has actually been shown to have beneficial effects for vision.
Is it safe for pets and children?
Yes and yes. In fact, veterinarians worldwide have used red light therapy for years to treat animals. It’s also been found to be safe and effective for young children and teens.
How long do Joovv bulbs last?
They actually do not need to be replaced! The lights have a lifespan of 50,000 hours, which equals to 6 years of time if you have them on continuously.
Is it worth the investment?
It definitely is a significant investment to make on your health, but my health is my #1 priority to be able to live a full and happy life. Joovv is actually quite affordable and extremely high quality compared to other red light therapy tools on the market. It’s a therapy that’s been backed by science, and I can feel the difference after consistent use. Plus, Joovv provides a great return policy if you don’t love it and every device comes with a 2 year warranty!
Ready to try red light therapy at home?
Check out Joovv HERE.