These paleo sweet potato muffins with chocolate chips are so incredibly easy to make, and are perfect for breakfast or a quick snack. They are made with coconut flour and are completely nut free!
Recently, I’ve been getting several requests for nut-free baking recipes from my readers. I totally get it. It’s really hard to find dessert or baked goods that are grain free and nut free at the same time. I think it’s because almond flour is very easy to work with in paleo baking, so you’ll find it often in recipes.
Well, I got to work as soon as I heard these feedback and I decided to make these healthy sweet potato muffins that are completely nut free and so delicious!
Yams vs Sweet Potatoes for Baking Paleo Muffins
For this sweet potato and chocolate chip muffins recipes, make sure not substitute with yams. Some think that they are the same, but a true yam is starchier and not as sweet. It’s more like a potato than a sweet potato. It might work in this recipe, but the flavor will be off. So make sure to use sweet potatoes!
Here’s a Short Video of this Recipe
How to Make Paleo Sweet Potato Muffins
This is an easy and yummy chocolate chip sweet potato muffin recipe made with coconut flour and mashed sweet potatoes. The moisture and the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes provide such a wonderful texture and flavor to these healthy nut free muffins. The crunchiness of the chocolate chips pairs perfectly with the moist and fluffiness of the muffins, so I recommend that you don’t skip out on them!
- mashed sweet potatoes: If you have raw sweet potatoes and want to cook them fast, just boil them for 20 minutes whole. Cool, peel, then mash.
- maple syrup: Honey will also work!
- coconut oil
- vanilla extract
- coconut flour: Almond flour, oat flour, wheat flour, or any other flour won’t work for this recipe. Coconut flour acts very differently from most flours.
- baking soda
- sea salt
- dairy free chocolate chips: For paleo chocolate chips, these are great for baking!
Step By Step Directions for Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Muffins
These paleo and gluten free sweet potato muffins are incredibly easy to make. All it takes is mixing all the batter ingredients together, then baking in the muffin tin.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, then line a 6-cup muffin tin with muffin or cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add in coconut flour, cinnamon, and baking soda, and whisk together. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
They really are such easy and healthy nut free muffins that make a hearty and yummy breakfast or a snack. They keep really well in the refrigerator too!
Tips for Making These Healthy Sweet Potato Muffins
- If you don’t have mashed sweet potatoes on hand, the quickest way to cook them them is to boil in water for about 20 minutes whole. Cool, peel, and mash with fork to use in this sweet potato muffin recipe.
- Make sure to use non-stick muffin liners so they peel off easily without sticking. You can also generously grease the muffin tin with coconut oil if you don’t have liners on hand.
- I wouldn’t recommend any substitution for coconut flour. Coconut flour works very differently and is much more absorbent than other grain free flours.
- These healthy nut free muffins aren’t too sweet, but if you prefer them sweeter, you can add 2 tbsp of coconut sugar to the batter or top the muffins with it after you pull them out of the oven.
- If you want chocolate chips on top of the muffins, only mix half of the chips into the batter and use the other half to top the gluten free sweet potato muffins before baking.
- It might seem like you have too much batter, but it will rise just enough that you have 6 round and fluffy muffins. I’ve made this sweet potato muffin recipe several times and the batter has never overflowed out of the muffin tin cups.
- You can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. They are delicious cold, and even better toasted for a few minutes in the oven!
Hope you love these delicious and healthy sweet potato muffins with chocolate chips. It’s such a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes and these muffins can be enjoyed any time of the day!
Other recipes you might love…
- Keto Lemon Blueberry Muffins (Paleo, Grain Free)
- Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Paleo Apple Muffins with Bacon
- Mini Paleo Sweet Potato Tarts
- Paleo & Vegan Chocolate Sweet Potato Pudding
Paleo Sweet Potato Muffins with Chocolate Chips (Nut Free)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a 6-cup muffin tin with non-stick muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir together until smooth.
- Add coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and sea salt. Whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips. If you want chocolate chips on top of the muffins, only stir in 1/4 cup to the batter. Use the other 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top of the muffins before baking.
- Evenly divide the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minute until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before enjoying.
- *For sweeter muffins add 2 tbsp of coconut sugar to the batter OR sprinkle each muffin with coconut sugar after you bake them.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.