Delicious and comforting spinach and artichoke baked gnocchi casserole recipe made with Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi! It’s vegan and paleo, and tastes creamy and incredible.
This baked gnocchi casserole recipe is about to be your favorite comfort food dish. It combines two of my favorite foods together: dairy free spinach and artichoke dip + paleo and vegan cauliflower gnocchi. It’s honestly my new obsession and I can’t stop eating it.
Spinach and Artichoke Baked Gnocchi Casserole Recipe
This vegan and paleo cauliflower gnocchi casserole is made using Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi, which is in their frozen section. It’s one of their products that I didn’t like at first until I figure out how to cook it properly.
In this recipe, gnocchi is baked together with a paleo and vegan spinach and artichoke dip base that’s so creamy and amazing. Don’t worry, you won’t even notice that the whole thing is dairy free!
How to Cook Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi
If you’ve never tried it before, this product is a bag paleo and vegan cauliflower gnocchi that’s frozen and made with clean, real food ingredients:
CAULIFLOWER, CASSAVA FLOUR, POTATO STARCH, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, SEA SALT.
If you follow the instructions on the packaging, you’ll end up with a mushy mess that sticks together. Instead, here’s how to cook Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi for the best texture:
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add a generous amount of oil.
- When the pan is sizzling hot, add the cauliflower gnocchi FROZEN in a single layer.
- Cook for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through, until there’s a golden crispy crust and the inside is soft and pillowy.
Ingredients in Dairy Free and Paleo Spinach and Artichoke Dip Base
Even though the creamy base for this cauliflower gnocchi casserole recipe is dairy free, it still tastes like the real deal and the flavor is just so amazing and addicting. Here are the ingredients in the dairy free spinach and artichoke dip base:
- raw cashews – Plan ahead and make sure these are soaked for at least 1 hour, but overnight is best.
- mayonnaise – I use this brand. If you want to make this recipe vegan, you can use this egg-free version.
- arrowroot starch – This is used to thicken the base. If you don’t have it on hand, tapioca starch or cornstarch (not paleo) will work as well.
- artichoke hearts
- frozen spinach – Plan ahead and make sure it’s thawed.
- salt and pepper
Helpful Tips for Making Spinach & Artichoke Paleo Cauliflower Gnocchi Casserole
- Check that the cashews are soaked and the frozen spinach is thawed before starting the recipe.
- If you don’t have access to Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi, you can use my homemade version from this recipe. Just follow those instructions to make the gnocchi, and then use this recipe to follow the instructions for cooking them. Just a note – that paleo cauliflower gnocchi recipe is NOT vegan.
- When blending the dairy free spinach and artichoke dip, it’s best to use a high powered blender for the creamiest texture.
If you enjoyed this spinach and artichoke baked gnocchi casserole, you might also like:
- Gnocchi Bolognese
- Paleo Cauliflower Gnocchi with Spinach and Mushrooms
- Cauliflower Gnocchi with Avocado Pesto
- Paleo Creamed Spinach with Bacon (Whole30, Keto)
- Shrimp Alfredo with Artichokes Hearts (Whole30, Keto, AIP)
Spinach and Artichoke Baked Gnocchi Casserole (Paleo, Vegan)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or your favorite cooking oil
- 2 bags Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi or 24 oz of raw homemade gnocchi
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked for at least 1 hour, then drained
- 1 cup paleo mayonnaise or egg-free mayo, for vegan
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 14 oz can of artichoke hearts drained and roughly chopped
- 16 oz frozen spinach thawed and squeezed to remove liquid
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- OPTIONAL: crushed red pepper flakes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat coconut oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium high heat.
- Once the pan is sizzling hot, add the FROZEN gnocchi in a single layer and cook for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from heat and leave the gnocchi in the pan.
- In a high powered blender, combine cashews, mayonnaise, water, garlic cloves, and arrowroot starch. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the creamy mixture in a large bowl, then add onion, artichoke hearts, spinach, salt, and pepper. Mix together to combine.
- Make sure the gnocchi is evenly dispersed in skillet in a single layer (or use a baking dish), then pour the spinach and artichoke mixture on top evenly. Flatten out the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Serve immediately as the main dish, or as a side to chicken or pork.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.