I’m a creature of habit, and I crave routine. However, I find that I get in a rut with my meals and snacks often because of this. I recently realized that I’ve been eating the same thing for breakfast everyday: 2 fried eggs, sautéed vegetables, and an open-faced avocado toast on my paleo yeast-free bread. While this is delicious (I mean… I couldn’t eat it everyday if I didn’t love it), it was time to change it up a bit for my sanity.
Being that I’m the most productive in the morning, I try not to spend too much time in the kitchen in order to get some work done. So I decided whip up something that could be made ahead and stores well throughout the week. These bacon and chive paleo muffins fit the bill perfectly and I couldn’t be happier about how they turned out.
Also, if you are into add-ins other than bacon and chives, you can easily substitute them with ingredients of your choice. Don’t you love easily customizable recipes? Hope you enjoy this easy, healthy recipe!
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or butter, melted
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup minced chives + more, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the bacon slices in the skillet until crisp.
- Drain the grease, cool the slices, then break into crumbles. Set aside.
- Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil or line with muffin tin papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut oil or butter, coconut milk, lemon juice, and eggs until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, stir together coconut flour, garlic powder, onion powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture, and stir just until mixed.
- Fold in bacon and chopped chives.
- Pour the batter evenly into the muffin tin.
- Sprinkle and gently press in more chive slices on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.