Recently, I’ve been feeling a bit run down and low on energy. This happens when I push myself a bit too much (the down side of being type A) and stress starts affecting my energy level. I found out about spirulina a few months ago and I decided to give it a try. Although the taste takes some time to get used to, it’s incredibly nutrient dense and known for it’s energy boosting abilities.
What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a powder form of blue-green algae that is ultra rich in vitamins (B vitamins, A, E, K, C, and D), minerals (potassium, calcium, zinc, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, and selenium), proteins and amino acids, carotenoids, and antioxidants. With its myriad of nutrients, it is incredibly beneficial for the health of your brain and body. Though I don’t like to use the word “superfood,” it is considered to be one because of its nutrition profile and its ability to remove toxins from the body.
Some additional health benefits are:
- Boosts energy
- Reduces cholesterol
- Reduces allergy and sinus issues
- Lowers inflammation in the body
- Removes heavy metals from the body
- Boosts the immune system
- Increases fat burning and promotes weight loss
- Eliminates candida
- Regulates blood pressure
- Keeps your skin healthy and glowing
- Improves memory and protects the brain
That’s not even the extensive list, and I think it’s pretty amazing!
With some spinach added in for some extra greens, you’ll love this energy boosting mint chocolate spirulina smoothie. I like to drink one of these in the morning, and I do feel more alert and better overall. I’ve been incorporating it regularly into my diet and I love that it feels like I’m eating dessert!
- 1 large banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 12 fresh peppermint leaves
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp spirulina Use code GREATGRANDMA10 for 10% off your entire order
- Optional: 1-2 tsp honey, if you prefer sweeter
- Optional: Cacao nibs and shredded coconut, for garnish
- Please all ingredients (except cacao nibs and cinnamon, if using) in a blender and blend until creamy.
- Pour into a glass, sprinkle with cacao nibs and shredded coconut (optional) and enjoy!
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.