Homemade clay toothpaste is something I started attempting after I became a fan of Earthpaste, an all-natural toothpaste without chemicals and additives. I hate that conventional toothpaste contain hormone disruptors like triclosan and fluoride, unnecessary artificial sweeteners, and foaming agents like DEA which is linked with various cancers. No thank you. While Earthpaste worked for me for a while, I didn’t like that it had a sweet flavor and I thought it would be fun to make my own.
As a side note, my dental health has improved dramatically through the past several years as I changed my diet and started using natural toothpastes. Remember: your dental health reflects your overall health in general, so if you find that you are prone to cavities and inflammation in your gums, it’s worth looking into your diet and finding out what imbalances are happening in your body.
Why Use Clay?
Clay, specifically bentonite clay, is known to contain an abundance of beneficial trace minerals and vitamins and has traditionally been used to boost immunity and to treat mineral deficiencies. It also has an amazing quality of binding to heavy metals, toxins, bacteria, and harmful substances so they can be removed from body. When used in toothpaste, it helps remineralize our teeth with calcium and magnesium, and its binding component also cleans out the mouth of any bacteria that may be forming.
Coupled with stain-reducing baking soda, the antibacterial component of coconut oil, and essentials oils that optimize their effectiveness, this recipe makes an awesome toothpaste that leaves your mouth feeling clean and refreshed.
Remember, When Using Bentonite Clay…
Bentonite clay should NOT come in contact with any metals. When this happens, it loses its effectiveness because it absorbs the metals that it comes in contact with. When using bentonite clay, use glass, ceramic, or plastic with your utensils and containers.
Also, I recommend you purchase bamboo toothbrushes to reduce your exposure to plastic (something like this). Making small changes to our daily routine can ensure that we reduce the amount of toxins that enter our body and the environment, while saving money at the same time if you go the DIY route!
Homemade Clay Toothpaste Recipe
- 3 tbsp bentonite clay
- 1/4 cup filtered water + more, if needed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 15-20 drops of essential oils (I like the combo of peppermint and thieves)
- In a glass, plastic, ceramic container (do NOT use metal), mix together bentonite clay, melted coconut oil, and water with a non-metal spoon until well-mixed.
- Add baking soda and essential oils and mix again.
- If the toothpaste is too thick, add a little bit of water at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
- Put in a glass or plastic container, where you can dip your toothbrush to use the toothpaste. Alternatively, if you have other people using the toothpaste as well, you can store in a bpa-free plastic squeeze tube.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.