This easy Keto and Whole30 Mongolian Beef is so much healthier and tastier than takeout and it only takes 20 minutes to make, with an AIP option!
Did you hear? My Korean Paleo cookbook cover image is finalized and I shared it on social media! I’m honestly so stoked about how it looks and can’t wait to share more details about preorder gifts soon, so make sure to go preorder your copy.
I don’t know if it’s because I’ve had my cookbook on my mind, but I’ve been craving Asian food more and more recently. One of my favorite Chinese food takeout menu items used to Mongolian beef, but even as a kid, I remember thinking how sweet it was from all the brown sugar.
Whole30 Mongolian Beef Recipe
Well, as someone who likes to keep her sugar intake low these days, I decided to make a Whole30 version of Mongolian Beef without any added sugar and it turned out fantastic. The yummy flavor comes from coconut aminos, which has a natural sweet taste especially when cooked down like it’s done in this recipe.
The garlic ginger sauce is so dang delicious, and it only take 20 minutes from start to finish! Definitely my kind of meal on busy weeknights.
Keeping It Low Carb
This Whole30 Mongolian Beef is fantastic on its own, but if you want a delicious side that goes well with it, serve it with some cauliflower rice! This keeps it low carb, keto, AIP, and Whole30-compliant. If you are fine with eating real rice, then you do you, boo! There’s no wrong way to eat anything and we just gotta do what feels right for our body.
This recipe is really easy to adjust to make it AIP compliant. All you have to do is omit the crushed red pepper during cooking, as well as the sesame oil and sesame seeds added in at the end. It’ll still turn out delicious because the sauce is what makes this dish! It’s hard to beat the combination of coconut aminos, garlic, and ginger.
I hope you enjoy this Whole30 Mongolian Beef, that comes together quickly and easily. Let me know how yours turns out and comment below! I love getting your feedback on my recipes so I can keep improving and creating dishes that you love.
Whole30 Mongolian Beef (Paleo, Keto, AIP Option)
- 1 lb flank steak sliced against the grain into thin, bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or ghee
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper omit for AIP or if you don't want spicy
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 bunch green onions cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp sesame oil omit for AIP
- Toasted same seeds, for garnish omit for AIP
- Season the beef with salt, then toss together.
- Sprinkle with tapioca starch then toss until evenly covered.
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Working in batches, drop the beef in the oil a few at a time so the pieces aren't touching each other. Fry until dark and crispy, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside. Drain the oil from the skillet but leave about 1 tablespoon.
- Add garlic, ginger, and crushed red peppers, if using, into the same skillet.
- Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add coconut aminos, water, and fish sauce, and stir to combine.
- Add the fried beef, and let it simmer for 3 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Stir in green onions and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving with cauliflower rice.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.