Several months ago, we decided to buy a new brand of coffee at the grocery because it was on sale. We’ve never tried it before and were excited to open the bag to breathe in the wonderful roasted smell of coffee beans. However, that familiar smell was barely there. Slightly confused, we decided maybe it’ll taste fine and brewed it, hoping for the best. Sadly, the coffee had zero flavor and I didn’t want to drink more than a sip of it. You know it’s real bad when I don’t even try to finish a cup of coffee.
Since I never throw out food if I can help it, I was determined to use the bad tasting coffee for something, and after much thought, I decided to make a coffee body scrub that I ended up loving so much, I’ve now made and have gone through several batches of the stuff with the same coffee grinds.
Benefits of Coffee For the Skin
- Coffee, along with coconut oil, contains antioxidants that are known to reduce the signs of aging (bye bye, wrinkles!). Antioxidants are also great for reducing inflammation, which may help with improving acne or other skin conditions.
- Caffeine in the coffee gets absorbed by the skin and increases blood flow into our skin. This is why you don’t want to use decaf coffee for this recipe. It’s the caffeine that increases circulation and brings radiance to the skin.
- Coffee scrubs are known to reduce the appearance of cellulite, contributing further to leaving your skin feel ultra-smooth and firm.
- The scrub is so effective in exfoliating the skin. The combination of coffee and sugar physically work so well in removing dead skin cells, and the massaging action while using the scrub also stimulates lymphatic drainage. It really does help the skin look brighter and more beautiful!
- ½ cup ground coffee (must be dry and caffienated)
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 5-7 drop lavender essential oil
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Combine all ingredients together and place in a jar. You can leave this at room temperature, as long as no water or moisture enters.
- Massage onto face and body in gentle, circular motion. Wash off after 5-10 minutes.