One of my favorite things to do after I shower (besides checking Instagram for 10 minutes in my towel) is slathering on my homemade body butter. My skin has always been on the dry and sensitive side, so I need all the help I can get! You might think I don’t need it as much in the summer, but summers are the driest in California and I can definitely tell the difference in the way my skin looks and feels during the warmer months.
I started making my own body butter about 2 years ago, when I couldn’t find a moisturizing lotion with ingredients I was satisfied with that was also in my price range. They all contained hormone disruptors and chemical fragrances that I did NOT want near my skin. And if I did find something to my liking, they were way out of my price range.
I love that I can control all the things that go into the body butter I make at home, and the best thing is that it works!
Don’t want to make your own?
Here are some of my favorite body lotion and butters from Beautycounter, all with an EWG rating of 1 or 2 (that’s like getting the best grades for having the safest ingredients from your toughest teacher!):
**I’m also personally sending out a FREE sunscreen stick if you order $50 or more through me on Beautycounter until the end of this month!
- In a double boiler or a saucepan over low heat, melt shea butter and coconut oil and stir until they are melted.
- Remove from heat for 10 minutes, then stir in extra virgin olive oil, and vitamin E oil and essential oils, if using.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 1 hour until it sets and solidifies a bit.
- Use a whisk or a hand mixer to whip until it reaches a fluffy consistency.
- Store in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Use like regular body lotion.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.