Sharing my pregnancy journey and 21 week bump update from symptoms, appetite, and products that’s been making my life so much easier. Plus, GENDER REVEAL of our baby!
I can’t believe I’m already halfway through my pregnancy journey! During my first trimester, when I was feeling so nauseous and tired, it felt like my pregnancy would go on forever. Now that I’m finally out of that stage, time is flying by and I feel like we have so much to get done before the baby comes.
My second trimester so far has been easy peasy. Of course, there are some minor discomforts that come with pregnancy, but so far, my energy and general mood and wellbeing is how I felt pre-pregnancy.
Now, at 21 weeks, we finally know the gender of the baby (scroll down to the bottom for the reveal!) and I’m feeling more and more comfortable in my growing body and all the changes it’s going through.
21 Week Bump Update: Symptoms
- Bacne, weird rashes: Thankfully, I’m not getting any acne on my face, but I am getting some on my back and weird bumps and rashes on my side boob. Thank you, hormones. Primally’s Pure’s Everything Spray and Beautycounter’s SOS Acne Spot Treatment have been very helpful in reducing those when used twice a day, but it’s been quite annoying with summer just around the corner!
- No cravings/reduced appetite: I was a bit concerned about this one. I thought I was supposed to be MORE hungry during pregnancy, but I don’t have any kind of cravings and I’m not really that hungry frequently. And when I do eat, I can’t eat that much. I get full way too quickly and if I eat my normal amount pre-pregnancy, I’m uncomfortably full and it’s just not worth it. Thankfully, my recent ultrasound showed that the baby is growing healthily, and all my health markers seem fine, so my midwife said not to stress out about it too much.
- More energy at the gym: I’m loving this. I feel like I’m pretty active these days and I can last way longer in my workouts. I only workout 3 times a week, but I feel amazing afterwards. I rotate between HIIT workouts, cycling, and yoga, and all of these have been so great in helping me feel like myself as my body changes. In the beginning of my second trimester, I was so out of breath with any little exertion, and I love that I have so much more energy these days.
- Backaches: As someone with slight scoliosis all her life, I’m not unfamiliar with backaches and shoulder pains. However, it’s been way worse recently, especially in my upper and lower back. I massage my back nightly, take epsom salt baths, go to my chiropractor, and rub CBD cream on the pain points, and the combination of these seem to make a tremendous difference, in addition to my pregnancy pillow,
- Sneezing and nasal congestion: This is probably the worst part of my pregnancy, and some days it’s way worse than others. From what I’ve been reading and researching, it seems that only 20% of pregnant women suffer from these symptoms and I happen to be one of the lucky ones. Personally, I’ve been noticing that it worsens if I’m stressed out or if I consume too much carbs or sugar, so I’m managing it by reducing these things in my life.
Products That I’ve Been Loving Throughout My Pregnancy
In the beginning of my pregnancy, I told myself I wouldn’t buy a ton of unnecessary items that I see marketed constantly toward pregnant women. However, as my body changes and I experience different symptoms, there are some necessary items that have helped so much in providing comfort and easing some of those symptoms.
For stretch marks
I know stretch marks are genetic, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to do everything I can do keep them from coming. These are my 2 favorite products are safe and effective without harmful ingredients.
- Beautycounter Body Oil in Citrus Rosemary: This just feels sooo luxurious and smells amazing! It contains both grape seed oil and rosemary oil, both of which are known to be awesome for stretch marks. Although the price does seem high, it lasts a really long time because it spreads so well!
- Primally Pure Baby Balm: I rotate between this one and the body oil I previously mentioned. The combination of emu oil and marshmallow root in the Baby Balm are so incredible for stretching skin and so many women love this product during pregnancy.
For back pain:
- Pregnancy pillow: At first, I thought, “Is this really going to make a big difference??” And heck yes. I can say that now after sleeping with it for over a month. Pregnancy pillows are 100% worth the investment and it makes sleeping on my side so much more comfortable (I’m usually a back sleeper). It provides support at all the right places and I’ve been sleeping so much better. I do love the U-shaped one, but it does take up half of our king-sized bed. There are various shapes and sizes if you prefer a smaller one.
- Electric massager: Probably the most budget friendly but effective purchase ever to give yourself a massage at home. I actually bought this before being pregnant, but I use and love it SO MUCH MORE now! I use it every night, and it feels amazing while getting out all my knots in my shoulders and back. It heats up and changes directions as well!
- CBD cream: If you are uncomfortable with using CBD during pregnancy, then this may not be for you. I’ve been loving this topical cream, and I can feel the difference immediately. I’ve tried many CBD creams before and this one is truly the best and the purest!
- Epsom salt baths: If you follow me on Instagram, you know I’m obsessed with baths. Epsom salt is amazing for relaxing your muscles and replenishing your body with minerals, and I take a bath almost everyday because it’s so helpful for my back, as well as my anxiety.
For bacne and random bumps/rashes:
- Everything Spray: This is my go-to product for any kind of skin issues, and it’s works so well for acne, rashes, or any kind of inflammatory skin conditions. It’s calms down irritation, reduces blemishes, and I’ve been spraying it all my of my back morning and night.
- Countercontrol SOS Acne Spot Treatment: Anytime I see a hint of acne, this is my lifesaver that kills it in just 2-3 days. I have always had it on hand for emergency pimples, but I’ve been using it way more with my annoying bacne popping up. It contains squeaky clean ingredients that are safe during pregnancy.
- Cleansing Balm: When it comes to any kind of rashes or inflammation on the skin, the Cleaning Balm heals and protects the problem area quickly. I’ve been using it as a spot treatment on my random rashes, and I can see the difference with just one application. The nutrient-rich raspberry and cranberry seed oils, as well as the vitamin C in it work together to create this healing formula!
For sinus congestion:
- Nasal strips: I was a bit skeptical about if these will do much to reduce congestion, but they actually made a huge difference! I could feel it working as soon as I put it on, and it’s so helpful during my sleep. I used to wake up in the middle of the night because my nose was so stuffed, but that doesn’t happen anymore with these. Plus, they look crazy sexy.
- Nasal saline spray: If you have a Neti Pot, that will work as well, but I just love the convenience of this nasal spray. It clears up my nose right away, keeps my passage moist, and contains clean, drug-free ingredients that are safe during pregnancy.
- Squatty Potty: This is another one of those products that I bought a while ago, but I appreciate it so much more during pregnancy. Constipation is quite common during pregnancy, and although I never got it too badly, I do love the Squatty Potty for regulating my bowel movement. It seems like such a simple product but works extremely well (trust me!).
GENDER REVEAL: It’s a….
We are having A GIRL!
I couldn’t be more excited. I wanted a girl from the beginning so I can teach her to be strong and bossy as hell, and let her know she can be anything she wants to be in this world. I would have been totally happy with a boy, but I just leaned toward a girl more.
We Almost Didn’t Find Out the Gender
At our 20 week ultrasound, we were so excited to find out if we were having a boy or a girl, but we almost walked out without knowing because the baby was crossing her legs until the very end!
Our ultrasound technician told us this sometimes happens so we might not be able to find out at that appointment, but thank goodness, the baby showed us at the very last minute. It was such a magical and happy moment, and we are busy picking out names and clothes already.
Hope you enjoyed reading my 21 week bump update! I had so much fun writing this post, and I tried to address the most common questions I’ve been receiving on social media. If you have anything else you are curious about, leave me a comment below! I’ll probably do another update post before the baby arrives, and I hope sharing my experience is helpful for other women who are or will be going through this beautiful journey of creating a human. As always, thanks so much for your love and support!!
Believing you may have a diastasis recti can be a worrisome / frustrating experience. However, there is an abundance of information regarding diastasis recti recovery. We at Restore Your Core have designed a program specifically for testing for diastasis recti in women who are suffering from diastasis recti or other abdominal/pelvic floor issues.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.