Can you believe Super Bowl is almost here? Those of you who aren’t into sports are probably like, “Yes, and I don’t give a fuuuuuuu—.” I get it. I don’t much care about the teams playing this year, but I do enjoy watching football with friends and it’s so exciting to get into a game that so many people care about.
If you don’t agree, then can’t we all at least agree that game day food is the best? Nachos, wings, dips, chili, finger foods… What’s not to love?
Today’s recipe was created out of my love for both spinach and artichoke dip and meatballs, and it’s the perfect game day food that won’t make you feel tired and sluggish afterwards.
I love these spinach and artichoke meatballs because they literally come together in 5 minutes and all you really have to do is throw them in the oven. And they are seriously so delicious! The meatballs are a bit veggie heavy so I didn’t think the fiancé would love them, but he gobbled them up and told me how amazing they were. I think the sauce really pulls all the flavors together so definitely definitely make the sauce! It adds the creaminess and tanginess that’s so amazing in a spinach and artichoke dip.
Whether you are hosting or going to a Super Bowl party, I know these meatballs will be a popular crowd pleaser. It’s so healthy (they are sugar detox-friendly!) but still so healthy and flavorful. I promise, you won’t miss the cheese but if you aren’t lactose intolerant like me, you can also replace nutritional yeast with some cheddar or parmesan. I hope you love these as much as we did!
- 1½ lb ground pork
- 1 14-oz can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 cups frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup paleo mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 stalk of green onion, finely minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use your hands to squeeze out the liquid from the artichoke hearts and spinach.
- Mix all ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl.
- Shape into 24-30 meatballs, about the size of golf balls.
- Place on the lined baking sheet, making sure that they don't touch each other.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve drizzled with dipping sauce (recipe below) or you can serve the sauce on the side to dip the meatballs in.
- While the meatballs are baking, mix all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside until ready to serve.