Holidays aren’t the same without a decadent dessert to finish off the meal, and this paleo and gluten free chocolate chip pretzel pecan pie is a crowd-favorite that always disappears in no time!
I’m very much into all the pies during the holiday season. I honestly love them all and it’s hard to pick a favorite. But this uber decadent gluten free chocolate pecan pie with crunchy pretzels? Oh wow. It is definitely up there as one of the best pies I’ve ever made.
Chocolate Chip Pretzel Pecan Pie Recipe
What makes this chocolate pretzel pecan pie recipe so addicting is the wonderful combination of flavors and textures. It’s crunchy, salty, sweet, and chocolate-y, all with the amazing gooey-ness of a classic pie. I’ve made a paleo chocolate pecan pie before, but this version is even better because the saltiness of the pretzels balances out the sweet flavor so well!
Gluten Free Pecan Pie Crust Recipe
You can, of course, use a store-bought pie crust for this chocolate pretzel pecan pie recipe. However, it may not be the easiest to find if you are gluten free or paleo. This grain free and paleo pie crust is one of my favorites that’s sturdy, light, and flaky at the same time.
Plus, there are only 5 ingredients:
- arrowroot starch
- coconut flour
- sea salt
- butter (can be substituted with palm shortening or ghee if you are lactose intolerant)
All you have to do is pulse all the ingredients in the food processor several times until a dough forms. You then press into a pie dish, poke holes with fork, then bake for 10 minutes before adding the filling!
How to Make Chocolate Pecan Pie with Pretzels
Once you have the parbaked crust, you can start making the filling for the most delicious gluten and dairy free pecan pie recipe, chock full of chocoate chips and pretzels:
- Once the paleo pecan pie crust is baked for 10 minutes, start the filling while it cools slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon until combined. Stir in chocolate chips, pecans, and pretzels.
- Pour into the pie crust, then bake for 45-50 minutes until the center is only slightly jiggly.
- Cool completely and/or chill before slicing and enjoying!
Notes and Substitutions
- Like I mentioned above, you can use a store-bought crust to make this chocolate chip pretzel pecan pie if you want to cut down on time. However, like the gluten free pecan pie crust recipe I share, I would par-bake the crust 10 minutes to firm it up, since the filling is on the heavy side.
- If you do use my crust recipe, you can substitute arrowroot starch with tapioca starch if that’s what you have on hand.
- Since this is a paleo and gluten free chocolate pecan pie, you’ll want to use pretzels that aren’t made with wheat. It’s actually quite easy to find gluten free pretzels lately, and this is my favorite brand. However, paleo pretzels aren’t as easy to find and these pretzel chips were only one I could find that’ll work for this recipe.
- There are no substitutions for eggs for this paleo chocolate pecan pie. I suggest looking for a vegan pecan pie recipe then adjusting with the ingredients to add chocolate chips and pretzels.
If you enjoyed this gluten and dairy free pecan pie recipe with chocolate and pretzels, you might also like:
- Paleo & Vegan Pecan Pie Cheesecake (No Bake)
- Easy Apple Pie Bars with Salted Caramel Sauce (Paleo, Vegan)
- Paleo Pumpkin Pecan Pie
- Paleo Cranberry Galette
- Berry Pecan Bars (Paleo, Vegan)
Chocolate Chip Pretzel Pecan Pie (Gluten Free, Paleo)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients for the crust in food processor and pulse until a dough forms.
- Press the dough into a 9-inch pie pan, then use a fork to pokes holes into the dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes. While the crust is cooling, make the filling.
- Whisk together eggs, butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, sea salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips, pecans, and pretzels.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the center is only slightly jiggly.
- Cool completely and/or chill before slicing and serving.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.