This paleo Curtido (Salvadoran Spicy Cabbage Slaw) is refreshing and crunchy, and makes an amazing side dish for almost any meal!
I love me a good, refreshing salad, and this curtido has been my go-to side dish for the past few days. The best thing about this Salvadoran spicy cabbage slaw is that the flavors get better and better the longer it sits, so I’ve been loving the leftovers and it goes great with just about anything.
This curtido is actually one of the many delicious dishes from the Latin American Paleo Cooking, a fabulous new cookbook written by my friend Amanda from The Curious Coconut with her mother-in-law, Milagros Torres. When I finally got my hands on the cookbook, I was delighted by all the beautiful looking recipes (I looooove Latin American cuisine) and bookmarked a bunch of pages to try out right away. All the dishes are authentic, allergen friendly (and mostly AIP!), and you can tell there was so much love and attention that went into the book.
I’ve already tried the Tostones (twice fried green plantains), which were so crispy and dangerously addicting. Other recipes I’m most excited for are:
- “Queso” Blanco: Dairy-free cheese sauce… whaaat?
- Pastelillos: A type of fried empanadas stuffed with meat
- “Rice” Pudding: One of my favorite desserts, made grain-free!
- Canoas de Plátanos Maduros: Meat-stuffed ripe plantains, which sounds like a magical combo to me.
So much care went into making each dish authentic as possible and I love that the book caters to so many food allergies.
What you can find inside Latin American Paleo Cooking:
- Over 80 traditional recipes made Paleo, with over 90% being AIP or easily adaptable.
- All recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free; all but 1 are egg-free.
- The countries represented include: Puerto Rico, Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, and Brazil, each marked with that country’s flag for easy reference.
Now that you’ve heard all about this amazing cookbook, I bet you would love a chance to have access to all the delicious recipes! I’m thrilled to give you a chance to win a free copy of the cookbook. Enter below:
This giveaway will be open for entry until September 1st at 11:59pm PST. The winner will be announced below and will also be contacted by email!
Can’t wait for the giveaway? You can purchase the cookbook HERE.
And to give you a sneak peek of the cookbook, hope you enjoy this curtido recipe!
Curtido (Salvadoran Spicy Cabbage Slaw)
- 1 small head green cabbage, sliced very thinly or grated
- 4 carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and cut about 1" long
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, diced and seeded (omit for AIP), or 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fine Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup filtered water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- In a large, nonreactive bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir well. Depending on how large your cabbage is, you may need to add a bit more vinegar and water.
- Place it in the fridge for 15 minutes before serving. The flavors will continue to develop as it sits. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.