This ultra crispy paleo and keto zucchini fries recipe uses crushed pork rinds for the low carb breading. Served with the most addicting and delicious fry sauce!
There’s not a type of fry that I don’t like as long as it’s crispy and crunchy. I’ve made and had so many different varieties, because it’s just one of my top favorite indulgences.
Paleo & Keto Zucchini Fries Recipe
These air fried zucchini fries are my newest obsession. Not only are they ultra crunchy and tasty, the air fryer makes them so easy and quick to make without the mess that comes with deep frying. Also, these are lowcarb and keto zucchini fries without parmesan. Most keto vegetable fries use some kind of cheese for the breading, but this one just uses crushed up pork rinds as the base!
How to Cut Zucchini into Sticks
To make paleo zucchini fries that are sturdy and hold up well, the way you cut the zucchini squash is important. You want to make sure that they are even in size and that each cut piece has the skin attached, which keeps the zucchini from falling apart. Here are the steps to cut them to make the tastiest low carb zucchini fries:
- Do not peel the zucchini. Slice the tops off.
- Cut the zucchini into 3 even pieces widthwise.
- Take each third and halve each piece LENGTHwise.
- Then, take each half and cut into 3 equal sticks lengthwise.
I used a medium sized zucchini for this, but if you use larger ones, you might want to cut each half into 4 equal sticks for that last step to make them into thin fry shapes.
How to Make Zucchini Fries In an Air Fryer
Personally, the air fryer has been one of my favorite kitchen purchases after the Instant Pot. Food just cooks so fast, the texture turns out incredible, and you get the same “fried” taste and effect without using a ton of oil. Here’s how to make zucchini fries in an air fryer:
- Make the fry sauce first by combining all ingredients together, and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Slice the zucchini into fries as described above. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg.
- In another bowl, combine pork panko and all the spices.
- Dredge the zucchini sticks in the egg wash, then press all over into the pork panko mixture.
- Shake off the excess and place on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the zucchini sticks.
- When ready to cook, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Cook in a single layer without touching for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately dipped in the fry sauce.
It just takes 10 minutes of cook time to make these keto and paleo zucchini fries, and the fry sauce is amazing and simple too! I definitely wouldn’t skip on the sauce. It’s what makes this recipe the best air frier zucchini fries I’ve made!
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
While this is a simple and easy keto zucchini fries recipe, I have a few tips to make these stellar:
- Refer back to how to cut zucchini into fries within this post above or in the recipe box below. You want the fries to be similar in size, while each having the skin attached.
- Pat dry the zucchini fries after slicing them before dredging them to reduce moisture.
- Pork panko is just pork rinds crushed up. You can crush up your own pork rinds, or use these that come already crushed. I love them and use them for low carb breading often. They are how I makes these keto zucchini fries without parmesan cheese.
- When dredging the zucchini from the egg wash to the pork panko, I find that using chopsticks make it much easier with less mess.
- Make sure to cook these low carb zucchini fries in a single layer without overlapping. If you have a smaller air fryer, you may need to cook them in 2 batches.
- Once these air fried zucchini fries are done, eat them right away while warm to taste the ultimate crispiness. If you have leftovers, you can store in an airtight container in the fridge and then heat them back up in the air fryer for 4-5 minutes until they are crispy again.
Other recipes you might love…
- Sautéed Asian Zucchini and Onions (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb, AIP Option)
- Keto Air Fryer Fried Pickles (Paleo, Whole30)
- Air Fryer Keto Popcorn Chicken (Paleo, Whole30) – Oven Method Included!
- Crispy Plantain Curly Fries
Keto Zucchini Fries in the Air Fryer (Paleo, Whole30)
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 cup pork panko
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Make the fry sauce first by combining all the ingredients. Place in the refrigerator while you make the zucchini fries.
- Cut zucchini into fries: Cut each zucchini into 3 even pieces widthwise. Halve each piece of zucchini lengthwise. Take each 1/2 and slice in 3 similar-sized sticks lengthwise, so you have 6 zucchini sticks from 1/3 of a zucchini.
- Pat dry the zucchini sticks with a paper towel.
- In a separate bowl, crack and whisk the egg.
- In another bowl, mix together pork panko, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge the zucchini sticks in the egg wash. Shake off the excess and press into the pork panko mixture. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the rest of the pickle slices.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F, and spray the zucchini fries with cooking oil for an extra crispy texture.
- Arrange the zucchini sticks in a single layer in the air fryer. You may need to work in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until crispy and browned.
- Serve immediately with fry sauce.
- If you have leftovers, store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Reheat in the air fryer for 4-5 minutes at 400 degrees F to crisp up again.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.