I’m writing this from our new house in Long Beach, CA, and I couldn’t be happier! This house is so comfortable and it’s everything I’m looking for in a home: lots of natural light, huge backyard, and hardwood floors! Oh, and we also have a gas stove that I’m very excited about. Our last place had an electric one and I did not love it.
Needless to say, this past week has been a whirlwind, with getting things out of storage and getting settled into our new home. However, it’s so nice to finally have a place to call home, and I’m eager to get back to work again.
Today’s recipe is paleo creamed spinach, and I’m kinda obsessed. I love dishes that make you eat a ton of veggies by wilting them down like crazy, and this recipe does just that. Especially when they are doused in a heaping amount of healthy fat!
This creamed spinach is thickened with coconut milk and tapioca starch, and you wouldn’t even know that you are missing the dairy! I couldn’t stop eating this because it was so delicious.
If you need a way to fit in plenty of greens, or want to make a spinach dish that your kids will enjoy, I hope try out this creamed spinach. It’ll have you fall in love with spinach all over again!
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 big bunches of spinach, stems removed
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- Juice and zest from ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to garnish
- Heat ghee or coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions with salt and pepper, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add spinach (in batches, if necessary) and cook for 4-5 minutes. Make sure to stir often until wilted.
- Pour in coconut milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes until the sauce is reduced and thickened. Stir in tapioca starch.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with red pepper flakes, and serve.