The best air fryer rotisserie chicken recipe that’s easy and yields the crispiest skin with juicy, tender meat! You’ll never return to store-bought chicken again after you try this out.
I’ve been a huge fan of my air fryer for a while now, and I’m always amazed at how fast the food cooks as well as the amazing texture it delivers. However, it was only in the past few months that I asked, “Can you cook a whole chicken in an air fryer?” I tried it out several times since then testing out different methods, times, and temperature, and I’ve been absolutely in love with how easy and delicious the result is!
Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken Recipe
This keto and Whole30 rotisserie chicken just requires a whole chicken and spices for the rub. The result is a juicy and tender meat with a crispy, flavorful skin that’s just so delicious and wonderful. It’s so much faster than the classic oven method with an even better texture. I’ve been making this recipe for rotisserie chicken in air fryer at the beginning of the week, then enjoying it in various ways for my whole family for the next several ways. It’s been so great for meal prep!
Ingredients for Rotisserie Air Fryer Chicken
- whole chicken
- ghee or butter: You can make your own ghee here, or purchase it pre-made. Other cooking oil like avocado oil also works!
- sea salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dried oregano
Of course, you can adjust the seasoning to your liking. This is my go-to spice mix for that classic rotisserie chicken flavor!
How to Cook a Rotisserie Chicken in an Air Fryer
It doesn’t matter if you have a basket style air fryer, or an oven style. The instructions are the same! Here’s how to cook a rotisserie chicken in an air fryer:
- Make sure to pat dry the chicken on all sides with a paper towel. This ensures that rub will stick better to the chicken and the skin will get crispy.
- Make the rub by combining ghee and the spices in a small bowl. Stir until it becomes thick paste.
- Cover the chicken all over with the rub to coat evenly.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- Put the chicken in the air fryer BREAST SIDE DOWN, then cook for 45 minutes.
- Flip the chicken breast side up then cook for another 10-15 minutes until the thickest part of the thighs reaches 165 degrees F. I use this instant meat thermometer and I love it.
- Rest the rotisserie air fryer chicken for 10 minutes before carving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, that’s actually how I personally like to reheat this keto and Whole30 rotisserie chicken. The skin crisps right back up and it tastes like freshly roasted chicken! Just air fry leftover parts of the chicken for 5-10 minutes at 360 degrees F.
To get crispy chicken skin, make sure to pat dry the skin well before adding the spice rub. The air fryer is great, because it gets the skin crispier than the oven so I highly recommend this method!
You can store leftovers of this rotisserie chicken for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
There are so many ways to use leftover rotisserie chicken! Besides eating it on its own with some yummy sides, here are some of my favorite recipes you can make using this rotisserie chicken in air fryer oven:
– Whole30 Buffalo Chicken Dip (Paleo, Keto)
– Hearty Chicken Salad (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
– Whole30 Kale Chicken Caesar Salad + The Best Whole30 Caesar Dressing
– White Chicken AIP Chili (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
– Paleo Burrito Bowl (Whole30, Keto)
– Whole30 Cobb Salad (Paleo, Keto)
– Whole30 Buffalo Chicken Salad (Paleo, Keto)
If you enjoyed this recipe, you make also like…
Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 whole chicken about 5 lbs – giblets removed
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter or your favorite cooking oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dry
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Pat dry the chicken on all sides with a paper towel.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl to make a paste rub.
- Massage the chicken all over with the rub evenly.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer BREAST SIDE DOWN, then cook for 45 minutes.
- Flip the chicken breast side up and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the thickest part of the thighs reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer, then rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.