Delicious and easy Instant Pot spaghetti meat sauce that’s comforting and kid-friendly as well. Make it paleo and Whole30 by serving it over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash!
A yummy meat sauce always takes me right back to my childhood. It’s hearty, flavorful, and so comforting, and it’s just a classic staple for many families. Traditional meat sauce can take a long time to make on the stovetop and for the flavors to build. However, with this easy Instant Pot meat sauce recipe, you can make a big batch all at once and have a delicious meal in no time.
Instant Pot Spaghetti Meat Sauce Recipe
I love that using the Instant Pot makes this paleo and Whole30 meat sauce recipe a set-it-and-forget-it meal. You just need a bit of prep time, then the pressure cooker will do most of the work for you. It also has a good amount of veggies in it, but even my 11-month-old will gobble it up and ask for more! It’s kid-friendly, with a thick and comforting texture than anyone would love.
How to Make Paleo Spaghetti Meat Sauce in the Instant Pot
After some sautéing and browning, this paleo meat sauce recipe takes just 20 minutes of cook time in the Instant Pot. It’s easy, simple and quick, with ingredients you probably have in your kitchen already!
- Cook the aromatics. Turn a 6-qt Instant Pot on SAUTÉ and add ghee, onion, carrot, and celery. Cook stirring until the onions are translucent.
- Brown the meat. Add mild Italian sausage and ground beef, and cook for 7-8 minutes until browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Turn off the Instant Pot, and stir in crushed tomatoes from a can.
- Cook on Manual HIGH for 20 minutes, then release pressure naturally.
- Open the lid, and serve immediately garnished with chopped parsley or basil!
This easy Instant Pot meat sauce will yield about 6 cups, which will be about 8 generous servings. It’ll be perfectly thick and chunky if you follow the instructions.
If Your Paleo Spaghetti Meat Sauce Gets a “Burn” Notice in the Instant Pot…
You may get a burn notice with this Whole30 meat sauce recipe if you use an 8-qt Instant Pot (I use a 6-qt), or if the brand of your crushed tomatoes are thicker in consistency. If this happens, you can add some beef or chicken broth to thin out the mixture right before pressure cooking.
If Your Sauce is Too Thin…
This may happen if you had to add broth to your sauce to get the Instant Pot to come to pressure. If you want to thicken it to you liking, once your meat sauce is done cooking, turn on the Instant Pot on to SAUTÉ with the lid off. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until reduced and thickened.
What to Serve with This Paleo Meat Sauce Recipe
This Instant Pot pasta meat sauce is, of course, delicious with pasta or gluten free pasta.
However, to keep it paleo and Whole30, you can serve it over:
- zucchini noodles
- spaghetti squash
- stuffed into potatoes or sweet potatoes
- cauliflower rice
- roasted veggies
If you enjoyed this paleo & Whole30 meat sauce recipe, you might also like…
- Instant Pot Meatballs in Tomato Sauce (Paleo, Whole30)
- Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
- Paleo Gnocchi Bolognese
- Paleo Shrimp Alfredo with Artichokes Hearts (Whole30, Keto, AIP)
- Instant Pot Paleo Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto (Whole30, Vegan, AIP)
Instant Pot Spaghetti Meat Sauce (Paleo, Whole30)
- 1 tbsp ghee or your favorite cooking oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage free of sugar and nitrates
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- IF NEEDED: beef or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- Fresh chopped Italian parsley or basil for garnish
- Turn on a 6-qt Instant Pot to "Sauté" setting, and add ghee to the pot.
- Once it indicates that it's "hot," add onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add Italian sausage and ground beef, and cook stirring until mostly browned, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and stir for 1 minute.
- Turn off the Instant Pot, and stir in crushed tomatoes.
- Close the lid, make sure the pressure valve is set to Sealing, then cook on Manual HIGH for 20 minutes. *If you are using an 8 qt Instant Pot and/or you get a "burn" notice, you may need to add some broth so it comes to pressure.
- Let the pressure release naturally until the lid slides open easily, about 15 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: Mine turned out perfectly thick, but If you like your spaghetti meat sauce thicker, open the lid and set the Instant Pot to "Sauté" again. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened to your liking.
- Garnish with chopped basil or parsley, and serve.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.