This hearty and comforting Italian sausage and gnocchi soup recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes. It uses Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi, and it’s paleo and gluten free, and so delicious!
Have you ever had gnocchi in soup? It’s truly wonderful. I love it especially in a creamier base soups. The pillowy soft bites of the gnocchi are heavenly soaked in the creamy, comforting broth. It’s just so delicious on a chilly night.
Italian Sausage and Gnocchi Soup Recipe
This paleo and gluten free gnocchi soup is like a blanket in a bowl. It’s chock full of vegetables, has a ton of flavorful from the various spices, and it’s hearty and comforting. The taste of the Italian sausage slices and Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi with every bite is just so delicious and amazing. Best of all, the whole things takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish!
What’s in Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi?
You can use any gnocchi of your choosing for this paleo gnocchi soup recipe. You can even make your own from scratch! However, it’s just way easier to use pre-made gnocchi and I just love the taste and ingredients of Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi.
Here are the ingredients in Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi:
CAULIFLOWER, CASSAVA FLOUR, POTATO STARCH, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, SEA SALT.
That’s it! Squeaky clean ingredients that’s gluten free and paleo-friendly. You can find it in their freezer section!
How to Make Italian Sausage and Gnocchi Soup
This delicious gluten free gnocchi soup is super easy and quick to make! I was thinking of making this in the Instant Pot, but the stovetop method is simple enough and you don’t need any special appliances. Here’s how to make this Italian sausage and gnocchi soup recipe:
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add sliced sausages and onion, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, roasted red pepper, zucchini, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, basil, and oregano, and cook stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in broth and let it come to a simmer, then add gnocchi and cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and spinach and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed. Serve, sprinkled with parmesan cheese if desired.
Note and Substitutions
- I used Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi, but you can use any store-bought gnocchi or make your own from scratch. I have a homemade cauliflower gnocchi recipe here. You can cook frozen gnocchi in the soup straight from the freezer for TJ’s version. If making your own or using another brand, you can just add them when they are fresh and raw.
- For a paleo-friendly Italian sausage, I like Applegate’s Organic Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage. You can browse your local store for other brands with clean ingredients.
- I used jarred roasted red peppers to cut down on time for this paleo gnocchi soup recipe, but you can roast them yourself for an even fresher version!
- I don’t recommend you salt the soup until the end. Depending on the brand of the Italian sausage you use, the soup may be salty enough just from the seasoning in the meat. Taste before adding any salt.
- Feel free to adjust the ingredients with what you have on hand! I love this recipe because it’s so versatile. I think this creamy gluten free gnocchi soup will be fantastic with kale, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, and more.
If you enjoyed this Italian sausage and gnocchi soup, you might also like:
- Paleo Cauliflower Gnocchi with Spinach and Mushrooms
- Paleo Gnocchi Bolognese
- Spinach and Artichoke Baked Gnocchi Casserole (Paleo, Vegan)
- Paleo Cauliflower Gnocchi with Avocado Pesto
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Meat Sauce (Paleo, Whole30)
Italian Sausage and Gnocchi Soup (Paleo, Gluten Free)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or your favorite cooking oil
- 12 oz mild Italian sausage sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 roasted red peppers chopped (jarred or fresh)
- 1 medium zucchini sliced into thin half moons
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes or adjust to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3½ cups bone broth or chicken broth
- 1 bag Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi or 12 oz of raw homemade gnocchi (use frozen from TJ's and fresh for homemade)
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk or your favorite cream or milk
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Parmesan cheese omit for paleo
- Heat avocado oil in a dutch oven or a large stockpot over medium high heat.
- Add sausage and onions, and sauté for 5 minutes until browned and the onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, roasted red pepper, zucchini, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, basil, and oregano. Stir for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and the tomato paste incorporated into the mixture.
- Add broth, and let it come to a simmer.
- Add gnocchi and simmer for 2-3 min, then add coconut milk and spinach. Cook for another 3 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and taste to add salt and/or pepper.
- Serve and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.