Hope everyone had a great New Year’s celebration! We stayed home and rented The Interview (eh, it was okay), watched the ball drop on TV (underwhelming as always), and gauged FOMO through Instagram and FB. Party animals, we are. At least there was champagne involved.
Everyone is in the mindset starting off the new year with a clean slate, and I keep seeing a ton of posts about salads, workouts, and detoxes which are great. I love the idea of being motivated with new exercise routines and clean recipes. In keeping up with the trend, I was going to post a carrot ginger salad recipe. But tonight’s a “school night” for me and I go back to work tomorrow after 2 and a half weeks of vacation. I love my job but I’m not happy about giving up sleeping in, late morning hikes with the dogs, and mindlessly binge-watching trashy reality shows all day (just kidding about the last part….). So instead of a salad, I think it’ll make me happier to post one of my favorite comfort foods, BBQ pulled pork.
This is my go-to recipe when cooking for a crowd and it’s always popular at parties. I mean.. who doesn’t love pulled pork honestly? It takes a while to make this but it’s totally worth it. But don’t worry, most of that time is spent doing nothing at all and just waiting. Sorta torturous, because it smells so amazing. That’s the worst slash best thing about slow cookers.
This is actually a clean recipe overall. The only vice is the honey in the sauce, so I would avoid it if you are on a sugar detox. But what is BBQ sauce without the delicious balance of sweet and tangy? The sauce makes the dish. For realsies.
Served with roasted beets & yams & carrots over greens on the side. Seriously make this and make a lot of it, because you’ll want leftovers!
- 3-4 lb pork shoulder or butt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 onions, sliced
FORTHE BBQ SAUCE
- 2 6- oz can tomato paste
- 1.5 cup water
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic power
- 1 tsp cumin
- In a bowl, whisk together water, honey, and ginger.
- Slice one onion and put it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Put in the pork and put the second sliced onion on top.
- Pour honey and ginger water over everything.
- Cook on low for 12 hours.
- In the last hour, put all ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a saucepan and heat it up, simmering it until blended, about 5-10 minutes.
- When the pork is done, take it out and strain the liquid, saving the onions.
- Take out the bone (if there is any) and shred the pork with 2 forks, then put it back in the slow cooker with the onions.
- Pour in 2 cups of BBQ sauce and stir.
- Cook on low for 2-4 more hours.
- Serve with more BBQ sauce on the side!