This flavorful Whole30 ham and potato soup is dairy free, but so creamy and comforting with clean, healthy ingredients. So easy and quick to make as well!
There are some food combinations that are meant to be, because they are so fantastic together in flavor and texture. Ham and potatoes are one of those beautiful pairs, especially when the weather gets cooler. I combined the two in this dairy free ham and potato soup, and it’s my family’s new favorite weeknight meal that’s delicious and healthy.
Whole30 Potato Soup Recipe with Ham
This yummy Whole30 and paleo potato soup is chock full of vegetables and hearty ingredients. The base is made with blended potatoes and broth, and there are more cubed potatoes in the soup, as well as celery, carrots, onions, and ham. A little bit of coconut milk is added for that ultra smooth texture, and the flavors are so amazing! It’s an easy creamy ham and potato soup recipe that you’ll want to make over and over again.
Main Ingredients in this Recipe
This Whole30 ham and potato soup is a budget-friendly dish with simple ingredients:
- Russet potatoes: Idaho potatoes will also work well for this dairy free ham and potato soup. Waxier potatoes like red potatoes and Yukon Gold are also great in a pinch, but russet and Idaho potatoes will yield a much creamier and thicker base. If you are strict paleo and avoid potatoes, then you can substitute with white sweet potatoes instead.
- Bone broth: I always use bone broth in soups for their nutritional value (this is my favorite one), but a regular chicken broth will also work well for this Whole30 potato soup.
- Ham: If you are doing the Whole30 challenge, find a Whole30 compliant ham that’s free of sugar and nitrates. I list some of my favorite brands below.
- Coconut milk: I recommend full-fat canned coconut milk for this homemade creamy potato soup. If you can’t have coconut, you can try a thicker dairy-free milk like cashew milk.
Whole30 Compliant Ham Brands
It may seem difficult to find Whole30 compliant ham at the grocery store, but here are a few brands that I really like:
- US Wellness Meats ham: You can get 10% off with my code: JEAN10
- Pederson’s Farms Uncured No Sugar Boneless Ham Half
- Sprout’s Farmers Market The Butcher Shop Uncured No Sugar Half Spiral Ham
Let me know if you know of any other brands with compliant ingredients! If you have trouble finding them for this homemade creamy potato soup, you can substitute with sugar-free and nitrate-free bacon, preferably thick-cut.
How to Make Creamy Potato Soup with Ham
This recipe doesn’t require an Instant Pot or slow cooker, and it’s simple and quick enough to make on the stovetop! Here’s how to make creamy potato soup with ham:
- Make the base first: Combine half of the potatoes with broth and salt in a saucepan and simmer together for 10 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Blend together until smooth and set aside.
- Sauté veggies and ham: In a stockpot, sauté onion, celery, and carrots together for 5 minutes, then add the other half of the potatoes, garlic and ham. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Simmer everything together: Pour in the blended potato mixture, along with the spices. Simmer together for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Thicken with coconut milk and serve: Remove from heat, and add coconut milk. Stir together, and serve hot.
That’s it! Delicious and creamy paleo potato soup with meaty chunks of ham. The leftovers reheat well too!
If you enjoyed this creamy ham and potato soup recipe, you might also like…
- Swedish Meatball Soup (Paleo, Whole30)
- Whole30 Clam Chowder (Paleo & AIP Option)
- Instant Pot Cabbage Soup with Ground Beef (Paleo, Whole30) – Stovetop Instructions Included!
- Italian Sausage and Gnocchi Soup (Paleo, Gluten Free)
- The BEST Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (Paleo, Whole30) + Stove Top Option
Whole30 Ham and Potato Soup (Paleo, Dairy Free)
- 6 cups diced russet potatoes about 1½ lb, divided (or use white sweet potatoes for strict paleo)
- 4 cups bone broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee or your favorite cooking oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 cups ham cubed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Combine 3 cups of diced potatoes with broth and sea salt in a saucepan and heat over medium high heat. When it comes to a boil, lower the heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat ghee over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots, and cook stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add ham, garlic, and the remaining 3 cups of potatoes and cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the blended potato mixture, bay leaves, thyme, and black pepper. Let everything come to a boil, and reduce the heat to medium low to simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in coconut milk. Taste to adjust seasoning, and serve hot.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.