Some days, I just feel the need to clean up my diet. Especially after a fun Saturday of day-drinking and eating too much Mexican food and shoestring fries. I had a slight indigestion and brain fog afterwards. Totally worth it. Especially those damn fries. If you ever visit the North Bay, you have to eat at Fish. in Sausalito. It has fresh and local seafood with great vibes and AMAZING FRIES.
So today, I need some good-for-me, healing foods to clean up my body a bit after all that. One of my favorite combinations is carrot and ginger. They complement each other so well and are so good for you. I make this salad when I need an immunity boost and it’s so easy and quick to make. I like to get multi-color carrots because I like looking at pretty colors. I’m like a magpie, but with colors, and not shiny things. Bad analogy? Thought so. Shrug.
I put this spiralizer on my holiday wish list and looks like Santa (aka my friend Jackie – Thanks girl!) decided I deserved what I wanted. It’s great for someone like me who avoids grains and gluten. Now my options for healthy low-carb pasta dishes have increased so much more than just using spaghetti squash. And it’s so much fun! Reminds of playing with Play-doh Spaghetti Factory when I was young.
If you don’t have a spiralizer, it’s still delicious using grated carrots just not as fun. It’s even better the next day so if you make it, make a big batch and eat it throughout the week! It’s totally worth it.
- 1/2 lb carrots (about 3)
- 1/4 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp organic applesauce (no sugar added!)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ground black pepper, to taste (omit for AIP)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Spiralize the carrots, or grate them, and put them in a large bowl.
- Add the onion, garlic and grated ginger.
- In a separate small bowl, combine olive oil, dijon mustard, lemon juice, applesauce, salt, and pepper, and whisk them together.
- Pour over the carrot mixture and toss them together.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.