This healthy Whole30 asparagus soup is so deliciously creamy without any dairy, and makes a wonderful low carb side dish to welcome Spring! You can even make it vegan or AIP-compliant with easy substitutions.
With the weather warming up, I’ve been seeing a bounty of asparagus at the farmers market, and it makes me so happy! It’s one of my favorite veggies and my husband and I love it it in all forms as a side dish.
Creamy Whole30 Asparagus Soup Recipe
However, I never actually made asparagus in a soup! I’ve had asparagus soups at restaurants before and I remember enjoying them, but I’m not sure why I never thought to make it at home until now. It’s just so tasty and easy!
This paleo and Whole30 asparagus soup is a one pot dish that’s done in 30 minutes from start to finish. It uses coconut milk to add that creamy texture, and it just makes such a wonderful and light side or appetizer that goes well with any protein dish. You can even make it vegan or AIP with easy peasy substitutions.
Make It a Main Dish
If you don’t want to cook multiple dishes and want to make this Whole30 asparagus soup a main dish, you totally can! I love adding protein to my veggies soups to make them heartier and more filling. Here are some yummy additions that would go well in this soup:
I would just add these in with the coconut milk at the end and let everything simmer for about 5 more minutes before taking off heat and serving.
Even with the added protein, this dish takes about 30 minutes, and you’ll love the amazing flavor of hearty asparagus that stand out in this soup!
Creamy Whole30 Asparagus Soup (Paleo, Low Carb, AIP & Vegan Option)
- 2 lbs asparagus tough ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil for vegan or AIP
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper omit for AIP
- 5 cups bone broth or chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegan)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- juice of 1/2 lemon or more taste
- Wash the asparagus and chop in half.
- In a large saucepan, heat ghee over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add asparagus, salt, and pepper, and cook stirring for 5 minutes.
- Pour in bone broth, cover, and let it come to a simmer.
- Turn down the heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes until the asparagus is cooked through and soft.
- Use an immersion blender to blender the contents until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the contents to a regular blender to blend. Return back to the pot.
- Stir in coconut milk and lemon juice.
- Taste to add more salt, pepper, and/or lemon juice, before serving.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.