I don’t understand the concept of only using the slow cooker in the colder months. Where do people get that? Don’t ovens and grills create more heat when used, making hot days even hotter in the summer? Plus there are so many summer foods you can make with a slow cooker like pulled pork, pulled chicken, pulled anything, wings, dips, ribs, and pretty much anything you need to cook when you are feeling too lazy to babysit it (i.e. me, all the time). Slow cookers are the bomb all year around.
I bought pork spare ribs from the farmers market having no idea what to use them for, and like any meat I’m clueless about how to cook, I just threw them in the slow cooker hoping for the best and then BOOM. Turned out amazing. And it literally takes less than 10 minutes to prep. And I’m using “literally” correctly so don’t ya fret.
But seriously, don’t let your slow cooker collect dust this summer and MAKE THESE. They are pretty incredible. I don’t joke when it comes to pork spare ribs (I mean.. who would?) and these are an all-time crowd pleaser.
SLOW COOKER BBQ PORK SPARE RIBSPrint Pin Rate
- 4 lb pork spare ribs
- Salt, to taste
- 2 6- oz can tomato paste
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic power
- 1 tsp cumin
- Optional: Cut the spare ribs into sections so each section has a bone.
- Generously salt the spare ribs on all sides
- Pour the rest of the ingredients into a slow cooker and whisk them together.
- Place the spare ribs into the whisked sauce and toss them so they are well coated and submerged in the sauce.
- Cook over low for 6-8 hours. The meat should fall off the bones easily.