This delicious homemade broccoli slaw can be made using packaged broccoli slaw, or you can easily make your own broccoli slaw mix. So crunchy, healthy, and quick too!
I’m all about zero-waste cooking whether it comes to veggies or meats (nose-to-tail, baby!). When it comes to broccoli, I hate seeing the stem getting tossed out. It’s actually nutritious and really delicious when it’s prepared properly. And this Whole30 and paleo broccoli slaw recipe is one of my favorite ways to enjoy it!
Homemade Broccoli Slaw Salad Recipe
Have you ever wondered what do with broccoli slaw that’s sold prepared at the grocery stores? Some of you may be asking, “What is broccoli slaw?” Packaged broccoli slaw bag usually contains a combination of shredded broccoli stems, shredded carrots, and maybe a few other veggies. You can, of course, make broccoli slaw from scratch at home easily by shredding these veggies yourself for a more cost-effective option.
I took the second route, and shredded the ingredients in a mandolin slicer to make this shredded broccoli slaw salad. It’s delicious and refreshing, and such a perfect way to use up all parts of the vegetable. The apple gives it a delicious sweetness, and the mayo-based dressing is so creamy and tangy.
Ingredients in Broccoli Stem Slaw
This quick broccoli slaw recipe is in 2 parts: the vegetables and the creamy healthy broccoli slaw dressing:
- broccoli stems: Just cut off the stems of the whole broccoli
- sunflower seeds
- dried cranberries: This is an optional ingredient. I didn’t think I needed it, but some people like their shredded broccoli slaw salad with a bit more sweetness with every bite.
- mayonnaise: You can make your own or I love this store-bought brand!
- apple cider vinegar
- dijon mustard: Not all dijon mustard is Whole30-compliant so make sure to find one that is like this one.
- salt & pepper
- Remove the outer layer of the broccoli stems, then shred the broccoli stems, carrot, and apple. You can use a food processor with a shredder attached, a mandolin slicer, or a box grater.
- Transfer the shredded vegetables to a large mixing bowl, then add chopped celery.
- Make the healthy broccoli slaw dressing recipe by whisking all its ingredients together in a separate bowl. Pour over the vegetables.
- Toss to coat. Taste then add more salt, if desired.
- Stir in sunflower seeds before serving. If you want more sweetness to your slaw, you can stir in dried cranberries.
Frequently Asked Questions About Broccoli Stem Salad Recipe
If you can find broccoli and carrot slaw at the store pre-shredded and packaged, you can use that instead! You’ll need about 4-5 cups, or 20 oz. Just add in the celery and shredded apple to the mix, then toss with homemade dressing for broccoli slaw.
If kept in an airtight container in the fridge, this broccoli stem slaw should last up to 3 days.
Yes! To make a vegan version, just swap the mayo with vegan mayo like this one.
This crunchy broccoli slaw is delicious alongside burgers, grilled chicken, sandwiches, pulled pork, or any of your favorite meat dishes!
If you enjoyed this Whole30 & paleo broccoli slaw recipe, you may also like…
Quick & Healthy Broccoli Slaw (Paleo, Whole30)
- 1 lb broccoli stem (about 5 stems) about 4 cups shredded (Use 20 oz if you are using prepared broccoli slaw mix & omit the carrot)
- 1 carrot
- 1 apple peeled and cored
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Optional: 1/4 cup dried cranberries unsweetened
- Remove the outer layer of the broccoli stems with a sharp paring knife or a vegetable peeler.
- Using a food processor with a shredder attached, a mandolin slicer, or a box grater, shred broccoli stems, carrot, and apple into thin strips.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl, then add chopped celery.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the creamy dressing in a small bowl, and pour over the vegetables.
- Toss to coat evenly. Taste to add more salt or vinegar, if needed.
- Stir in sunflower seeds before serving. If you want more sweetness to your slaw, stir in dried cranberries.
- Enjoy immediately, or refrigerate for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.