You’ll love the delicious tender bites of this paleo blueberry coffee cake recipe topped with flaky crumble topping. It’s easy to make and perfect with a mug of coffee in the morning!
I’m usually team savory when it comes to breakfast, but there are rare times when I’m craving something sweet in the morning. It’s usually when I decide to switch from my usual matcha latte to coffee. Something about a hot mug of coffee goes incredibly well with a sweeter baked good, and the idea of this paleo coffee cake recipe came on one of those mornings.
Paleo Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
If you’ve never heard of coffee cake before, there’s actually no coffee in the cake. It get its name because it’s a cake that’s meant to be eaten with coffee. There are many variations of it using different nuts, fruits, and spices. This paleo and gluten free blueberry coffee cake has a perfectly moist and fluffy texture. You can taste the delicious blueberries with a hint of cinnamon in every bite.
Tips for Making This Easy Blueberry Coffee Cake
The instructions for this paleo blueberry coffee cake recipe are pretty straightforward and simple, but there are some common questions that I get with many of my baking recipes that I’ll address here:
- This is an almond flour blueberry coffee cake. I have not tried it with any other type of grain free flour so I can’t recommend an alternative nor guarantee results.
- You can use frozen blueberries, but make sure to not defrost them before adding them to the batter. Otherwise, they’ll drain too much liquid and the cake will turn purple.
- When making the batter for this paleo coffee cake recipe, mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients each separately before combining them together. I have found that this ensures that your dough is mixed well and uniform in texture.
- I used an 8×8 square pan, because I like my coffee cake thicker. If you use something wider (like 9×9), reduce the baking time by 5-10 minutes.
Easy Paleo Crumble Topping Recipe
When I think of coffee cake, I always think of the crumbly topping that just melts in your mouth. To make this paleo crumble topping recipe, you just need 4 ingredients:
- almond flour
- coconut sugar
- coconut oil
Just mix those ingredients until they become a crumbly, sand-like texture. Since the batter for the paleo and gluten free blueberry coffee cake is thick, you can just evenly sprinkle the topping over the batter and bake without it sinking in. You’ll have a beautiful and golden texture once the cake is done, and the crumble topping makes it look so pretty too!
Other recipes you might love…
- Keto Lemon Blueberry Muffins (Paleo, Grain Free)
- Paleo & Keto Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Berry Pecan Bars (Paleo, Vegan)
- Coconut Mixed Berry Paleo Popsicles (Vegan)
Paleo Blueberry Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8 cake pan with parchment paper.
- Stir together almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and sea salt until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, honey, coconut milk, ghee, and vanilla extract until fully combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix thoroughly. Stir in blueberries.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the crumb topping until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over the batter in an even layer.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan using the parchment paper.
- Slice and enjoy!
Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thank you for your support and understanding.